New Year’s resolutions motivates, yet it also reminds us what we haven’t accomplished yet. The failed resolutions, the false starts, the promises to change. This is not a post on the pros and cons of setting resolutions. This post is about how there are times when procrastination is stalling out because maybe what you thought you wanted to manifest is not really what you want.
Procrastination got a bad rep.
Many of us blame ourselves and are our worse critics as to why we’re “lazy.” It probably has more to do with a goal not being in alignment with what it is you truly desire. The procrastination is trying to tell you to look at the resolution to see what about it appealed to you and be honest as to why it hasn’t happened yet. This inner dialogue will allow you to root out limiting beliefs that are getting in the way of your receiving, allow the aligned desires to manifest and most importantly, it will allow you to let go of what is not really for you (now or ever).
A dream goes through a gestational period, so if you are actively working towards a resolution, it may not be the season just yet for what you want to reveal itself in the physical form. If what you want is a true heart’s desire, then it will come to pass in its due time. Check out https://abundantlifeinitiative.com/2014/04/05/gestation-of-a-dream/, for more information on how to nurture your dream’s gestational process..
The Universe is smarter than many of us give It credit for. Sometimes there are delays simply because you’re not meant to resolve that resolution just yet. Some argue you have to always take action steps towards a goal, and for the most part, I agree with that. However, there are times when you just have to take pause. These pauses come because God knows better than we do. We can’t even explain why we’ve paused, but it probably felt the most safe to do and that’s okay.
Follow your own divine internal guidance system and when you’re called to pause, pause. But pause and assess why there is a pause – if it’s simply so you can take a step back, so be it. If the goal is meant for you to manifest it, the desire will grow and you will be moved to take action when you’re ready. There are times when you do have to push through a pause – but don’t push until you’ve assessed why you’ve stalled. Most importantly, don’t beat yourself up for stalling, because again, the wisdom is found in the procrastination.
How to make procrastination work for you:
- Do incorporate regular research sessions about how to reach your goal, but don’t stay in the research phase forever.
- Be honest with yourself as to why you haven’t accomplished your goal yet.
- Take a step towards your goal – how did you feel taking that step? Were you surprised on how good or bad you felt about it? What information can you glean from taking those first baby steps towards your goal?
- Meditate, pray, and sit in stillness during times of procrastination – what may look like procrastination on the outside is really covering a brewing for something richer and more in alignment with your Spirit.
- Most importantly, do not beat yourself up over something not happening – give yourself a break.
- Remember that procrastination is trying to tell you something about three things: whether you really want the resolution (and it’s not a cookie cutter goal that everyone claims to want), whether you should stop for now, or maybe you should push on through. Divine Guidance will move you in the right direction.
Some people really do work well under pressure – and at times, I am that kind of person. Consider exploring what it feels like to not to procrastinate and see if that feeling resonates with you more. Oftentimes, we just need routine and someone to hold us accountable (such as a life, business, or wellness/fitness coach, even a loved one) for staying on track.
Here are some Law of Attraction/New Thought Podcasts on the subject to get you inspired to trust your internal guidance system:
- Summer McStravick’s Flowdreaming Podcast November 12, 2014 – Manifesting vs. Intuition: How They’re Alike And How They’re Different. Great podcast on the subject of knowing the difference and metaphysical dance between intuition and manifestation. A must listen-to.
- Summer McStravick’s Flowdreaming Podcast December 16, 2015 – What Did I Make And Why Did I Make It. This is probably the most relevant podcast to today’s blog post. She discusses the natural ebb and flow of why some things get accomplished, while others don’t.
- Summer McStravick’s Flowdreaming Podcast January 6, 2015 – Going Big In My Fertile Direction! This podcast will get you inspired to look at your dreams and trajectory in a new and motivating way.
~Your Curator of All Things Inspirational, Kimberly Jo Cooley