As a California native, there isn’t a day denim isn’t donned on my derriere. There are a few denim trends fading, while others are showing staying power. Can you guess which looks are here to stay this coming spring, and which ones we are saying au revoir to? We are moving away from the 1980s inspiration to the 1990s era.
Colors and Hues:
- Fairwell to brightly colored jeans. I will pack away my bright, fire engine red skinnies for another season.
- Say hello to light washed denim (not to be confused with acid wash) to medium hued jeans.
- Say yes to indigo colored denim…will balance brightly colored florals that are en trend this spring.
- Denim on denim. The denim suit is a light colored denim chambray shirt with dark denim, vice versa or tailored with unfinished. Be sure that the denim on top contrasts with your outfit’s denim bottoms, for a modern take on this classic trend.
- Hey there to prints. Prints on jeans have been around for a few seasons now, and we’re not quick to let it go. The prints will be more southwestern or Aztec inspired.
- Overalls and rompers. 2014’s overalls are more tapered and feminine, and preferably with a weathered look. Because today’s overalls are tapered, the question then becomes what shoes to wear. The model in the Forever21 picture is wearing high heels, but chunky heeled booties are okay, too.
- All things denim – shorts, hats, jackets, blazers, shirts, skirts, and dresses.
- Boyfriend jeans, another relic of last summer.
Finishes and Embellishments:
- A hole here, a rip there, it’s all good this season. Torn jeans seem to look better with lighter colored hues, so leave the dark jeans tailored and pulled together.
- Flower prints will carry over from last summer to this spring, as flower prints were a rage at the end of the 80s, and a big part of the early 90s.
-Curator of all things stylish, Kimberly Jo Cooley