Affirmations are a great spiritual and mental modality that help center your intentions and speak to Higher Source on what you have and what you are bringing into your physical reality. It is a bridge from the sub-conscious to the conscious. When your affirmations are in alignment with what you want – which is to feel great in all areas of your life – they help to shape your thoughts and shift the “now you” into the “new you.” Here’s a list of ways to sabotage the effectiveness of affirmations and three quick tips to overcome these roadblocks.
6 Reasons why affirmations don’t work:
- Setting unrealistic or highly ambitious affirmations.
- Limiting beliefs that need to be rooted out so new belief systems can planted. An example of a limiting belief is “you have to work hard in order to deserve more money.”
- Listening to others on why affirmations don’t work. Many people will say they do not work, but it could be the naysayers were too ambitious, or perhaps they rarely said or believed them, resulting in failed results.
- Failure to say them on a regular basis.
- Failure to adjust your affirmations as your life changes (for the better!).
- Failing to believe what it is you are affirming.
2 Tips to Ensure Success with your Affirmations:
- Have your affirmations represent being in that which you are affirming. Use words, such as “I AM” “I HAVE” and if necessary, “I WILL.” This is not a hard and fast rule, as there are some that do not start with those beginnings, such as my favorite affirmation, “I BEGIN and END my jobs on my own terms.”
- Give yourself room to grow in your affirmations.” For example, saying “I am a millionaire” will likely not resonate with you as much as “I am EVOLVING into a millionaire” or “I am evolving into a CEO of a successful company”. The subtle difference is the word “evolving.” It denotes you are moving toward millionaire status, but acknowledges you’re not there yet. The other example is “I work out everyday.” That sets a person who is just starting a workout regimen up for failure. Instead, say “I am healthy, fit and find ways to incorporate health and wellbeing in my day.” No matter what, believe your affirmation as fact, even if you may not be experiencing it yet.
- Be patient. It is important to be patient with yourself as you play with the affirmations modality. If you don’t see results right away, that’s okay. Oftentimes, we are unable to see what has already started manifesting in our life, hidden amongst all the things we do and don’t desire. Allow the blessings to come in their own time and trust they will.
~Your Curator of All things Inspirational, Kimberly Jo Cooley